Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Plan: Yukon Ho, I'm Going To Alaska!

The cat's out of the bag, and my days of languishing in Fog City are numbered. When last I left off, the plan was to return from Boston to a bike that's packed and ready to go...but to go where? I'm gunning for the motorcyclists dream: I'm riding Alaska. The plan thus far...

Projected departure from San Francisco: Wednesday, April 26th, 2017.



Stage 1: San Francisco, CA → Seattle, WA (~1k miles)
April 26 ~ 28: Camping along the coast of CA and OR.
April 29 ~ May 2/4: Portland, OR with the illustrious Sara Ryan. Rest and hang out with friends.
May 3/5: Maybe camp in the Olympic National Forest and go for a hike to Cape Alava.
May 4/6 ~ 10: Seattle, WA, with Gwynne. Last stop for service. I'm looking for a garage!

Seattle will be my last big service stop. Big People Scooters will hopefully have a couple tires waiting for me, and can put some fresh shoes on old blue and check the valves. I'm seeking a well-appointed garage to do the rest of it myself, will trade stories for tools and space!

On May 11th, 2017 it's Yukon Ho!



Here's where the dates get extra flexible. Basically, I have about 40 days to ride where I feel like it!

Stage 2: Seattle, WA → Haines, AK (~5k miles)
May 11: Vancouver, BC. Staying with Joey L. from Vespa Club of Canada.
May 12 ~ 14: Get to Hyder, AK. If nothing else, I can say I set tire here.
May 15 ~ 23-ish: Motor on towards Whitehorse, YT. Perhaps take Top of the World Highway, if the ferry is operating this early in the season.
May 24 ~ June 2-ish: All the stuff you can do from Fairbanks, AK. Possible trip to the Arctic Circle.
Jun 3 ~ 5-ish: Denali National Park.
June 6 ~ 15-ish: Anchorage, the Kenai peninsula, glaciers, old mining towns, rest days...
June 16 ~ 18: Point the bike at Haines, AK. Avoid bears.
June 19: Catch the ferry to Bellingham, WA.

Stage 3: Storage in Seattle, WA
June 19 ~ 22: That ferry life.
June 23 ~ 28: Return to Seattle, WA to rest. Serenity goes into storage, to wait for her next journey.

Bonus Stage: Boston, MA
June 29 ~ July 12: Fly to Peru for a family trip. Yep, you read that right, gonna hike Machu Picchu in moto boots!
July 13 ~ 16: Lammy Jammy in Lehigh, PA.
July 17 ~ onward: Rest in Cambridge, MA. Cuddle the Fred.

That's all for now!

11 comments:

  1. Too bad I'm going to miss you coming through. I'm heading south from Fairbanks in May. Don't miss Chena Hot Springs outside of Fairbanks and the Hot Spot Cafe just north of the Yukon River Bridge. And if you have time, McCarthy, Kennicott, Talkeetna, Seward are phenomenal. Spend as little time in Anchorage as possible though the Harley dealer has free camping for moto-travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...wow. From strength to strength, the horizons seem to get just that little bit bolder. I've known of relatively few making this trek (though many talk about it, of course. Here's to your Northern travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope to push those horizons a little further each time, however long it may take.

      Delete
  3. Hey Stephanie, I believe that AmeriVespa will be held in Seattle this year, July 6th, you may want to work on your timing?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ON second thought, I see you'll be out of the country!

      Delete
    2. I wish I could make it, I love Seattle in summertime and it would be even more fun when it's full of scooters! But timing just isn't going to work out this time.

      Delete
  4. As a member of the Vespa Club of Canada, I am working on a place for you, while you are in Vancouver, May 11th. will message you if it works out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to meet some scooterists in Vancouver, even just for one night!

      Delete
  5. Happy trails Steph!

    I'll riding along (virtually)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck and take care. Write when you can. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete